The Shudokan Martial Arts Association (SMAA, Shudokan Budo-Kai) was founded in January 1994 by a group of martial artists who were concerned with promoting and safeguarding Nihon budo and koryu bujutsu--the traditional martial arts and ways of Japan.
What's assumed to be authentic budo is often incomplete or diluted. There's a lot of misinformation about budo outside of Japan.
We're Your Connection to Japan!
OBJECTIVES OF THE SMAA
- To promote and aid in the growth of Japan’s traditional arts and ways.
- To assist the public in achieving spiritual growthand physical development through budo/bujutsu.
- To further friendship and understanding between Asian and Western martial artists.
- To establish goodwill and harmony among martial artists of various systems.
- To offer Western martial artists access to legitimate budo/bujutsu organizations and teachers in Japan.
- To give practitioners of authentic budo/bujutsu recognition for their years of devotion to these arts.
The SMAA invites all individuals who are interested in traditional Japanese budo and koryu bujutsu to apply for membership. There are two levels of membership in the SMAA: full members are eligible to apply for rank and teaching titles; associate members receive all the other benefits of membership, but do not receive rank or titles. Call 734-720-0330 to join!